Friday, October 26, 2018

Hard metal or weak hands?


©2018 Barry Smith - Offcuts of hard brass
It is the first Friday back on the mountain after our 6 weeks in the cottage in Scotland. Whilst we did quite a bit of manual work around the cottage whilst there it was always with heavy padded gloves and large tools.

Today I started to make 'product' - probably about 15 Leaf Tea Caddy Spoons and 15 Leaf-spoons. Of course it involved cutting up a number of silver plated drink and serving trays which is quite easy with my large bench top guillotine.

©2018 Barry Smith
But after marking the metal up the curved blanks needed to be cut by hand with small jeweller's metal shears.

©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith
After a while I found I needed to add on a couple of band-aids to keep the blisters at bay.



The metal certainly was hard - I suspected there was nickel in the brass.

It did get the stashes cut but I wanted to test doing leaf forming before committing myself to the 30 pieces of cut metal. I annealed a couple and didn't anneal a comparison piece. If you look closely you can see the leaf on the right has a stretch tension lines - this us the un-annealed piece. the other two worked better and unfolded without the tension line.

©2018 Barry Smith
At least there were no fractures. So all the pieces are ready for forming etc over the weekend if time permits.

©2018 Barry Smith - Ready for annealing and fold forming
©2018 Barry Smith - Annealed and ready for fold forming

4 comments:

  1. Ouch Barry! Welcome home to the mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love seeing your process but please be gentle with your beautiful hands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using those embossed trays as raw material is such a stroke of genius. The swirly patterns immediately lend the shapes depth and dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T, MC & D - folks - thanks for your supportive comments. T - ouch was right but the hands are hardening. MC - I had to laugh - first time my hands have been referred to as beautiful - functional but not beautiful. D - I do take a bit of time cutting the blanks for my work to capitalise on the patters. None patterned bits are saved for peace leaves and small bowls and such. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.