Friday, March 8, 2019

Unbound book

©2019 Barry Smith - Two pages of my leaf form artists book - in the rough
Today I started another artists book for the Compassion Artists' Book Exhibition. I want to make an unbound book that has loose leaves which are in fact hammered brass leaf shapes. My goal is to have 7 leaves each with it's own quote regarding compassion.  I want the leaf forms to be free standing; to wrap around each other; and to nestle gently in the palm of one's hand as one reads the quote.

A few images of the process follow.

©2019 Barry Smith - Leaf blank on the anvil - the reverse side of the blank has been hammered
©2019 Barry Smith - Quote by John Connolly stamped on the leaf blank
©2019 Barry Smith - Second leaf hammered and stamped with a quote from the Dalai Lama
©2019 Barry Smith - I love how the two pages wrap around each other and stand without support - graceful
©2019 Barry Smith - Five more blanks cut - awaiting stamping and hammering

©2019 Barry Smith - Curved form of the leaf - seriously in need of grinding and polishing
Over the weekend I hope to finish this book. It does not have a name yet.

5 comments:

  1. what a beautiful book in the making, love how it connects to the early Buddhist palm leaf manuscripts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book(wo)man side of me loves the play on words: leaves of a book

    And seeing the quotes hammered and stamped brought a gasp of pure joy ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful, Barry! Carol

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.