Friday, April 3, 2020

Functional art

©2020 Barry Smith - An arc of ladles - very shiny and rejecting the blue tool cabinet in the garage-studio
I have been working on replenishing my stock of metal works for sale - both in our gallery-shop and online at Barry Smith Art (BSA).

I committed myself to finishing ladles that I had on my workbench at the same time as I was working on leaves etc. As you can see from the photo above I ended up with eleven ladles. Ranging from tiny (3.5cm in diameter) to larger (9cm in diameter).

A few process photos follow.

©2020 Barry Smith - Hammered bowls ready to be fitted to brass handles
©2020 Barry Smith - Brass rod handles in the rough stage
©2020 Barry Smith - Brass rod handles drilled, ground and polished - ready to be riveted to the ladle bowls.
And a few photos of some of the individual ladles.

©2020 Barry Smith - Comparing the largest and smallest ladles
©2020 Barry Smith - Silver-plated copper ladle
©2020 Barry Smith - Silver-plated brass medium sized ladle
©2020 Barry Smith - This ladle is about 4.5cm in diameter - silver-plate over brass
©2020 Barry Smith - Love the hammer marks on this ladle
Quite a lot of hammering and riveting went into that stash of ladles - some have now made it into my online shop.

2 comments:

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.