Friday, August 26, 2022

Stitched metal...

 

I'm making an effort to finish off some metal work before heading to the cottage in Scotland. I planned to make 7 Daily Leaf Word sets. I have all but finished the sets of leaves; but had hardly made a start on the bowls - today was the day as you can see from the photos in this blog post. 

But working with metal can have its challenges. I was using metal cut from different silver-plated trays - some silver over copper and silver over brass. However I discovered that one larger tray I cut up was in fact silver over brass that had nickel added to it - makes it more silvery.  In past blogs I have reported that depending on the amount of nickel the metal can't really be annealed and can be prone to split. The metal on two of the bowls split. As you can see from the opening photo one split badly. Rather than scrap the bowl I decided to finish hammering it into shape and stitching across the split with 1mm brass rod. I like the outcome.

Before I show some process photos, below are few more photos of the two split bowls - including a spiral patterned bowl - the only ones I completed today. The shiny metal was reflecting the painting on the wall - I rather like it.



And as promised some process photos.







I hope to finish the other 5 bowls over the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. well, first off ... Blogger finally "remembered" me ... ha!

    and the cracked/split bowl would be well-worth duplicating, but I suspect it is far more effort ... such a great look though, reminding me of kintsugi

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.