Sunday, July 23, 2023

Gathering rust - literally

 

Fiona and I hope to complete a sculptural post together before we head to Scotland. The post itself is cut, routed, inked and sanded - see below. It now needs rust embellishments such the pieces that together will form the cap for the post - to stop water entering the end-grain of the post. The cap piece is about 15-16cm square. The post is about1-5-1.6m high - very heavy rose gum hardwood.

Following are a few photos of rust I gathering from my stash and cutting over the weekend.






The photo below shows quite a good pile if rusty bits cut from pieces in the first two photos. I really appreciate the fact that my bench top guillotine can cut through 1.5-2mm thick steel including rusty circular saw blades.

The pieces have yet to be drilled so we can attach them with nails. I also need to rust some clouts with acid in preparation for the assembling work which I hope will occur towards the end of the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.