Friday, October 22, 2021

Transforming

 

During the week, and again today, I have been finishing some melted metal work. Whilst I love the colours that developed on the back of the cross form above; I love the story behind the pendant and earrings below.


I occasionally get asked to rework some family item (silver-plated objects, trays etc); often because folk don't want to keep cleaning big trays etc. But this last request gave me much joy as the friend wanted a silver object that belonged to her dead husband transformed into a heart pendant - a beautiful wearable memory piece. I was also to transform a broken gold chain and odd bits of silver earrings into gold/silver earrings. The outcome above was received with much joy by the owner.

The crosses, hearts and ingots below were being ground and polished to go to DEP shop. I poured the extremely hot melted silver-plated brass into cold moulds - I think the sudden change of temperature resulted in air-pockets and rainbow colours on the underside of the metal.





I rejoice when I get those happy accidents.

3 comments:

  1. I love that rainbow effect - so so beautiful! And the re-making of objects into precious treasures is a real gift you give...

    ReplyDelete
  2. F and LA - thanks heaps for checking out the post. F - I doubt I will be able to repeat that rainbow effect. F&L - I'm fortunate that I am able to do these small transformations and bring joy. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.