Sunday, January 23, 2022

Contrast in cutting and finishing second post

 


As you can see from the photo above the first post now has a sibling. Each post will have one face with the similar curly design - the rest of the faces will be unique.

But first about cutting in preparation for art. On Saturday I spend the day cutting large sheets of Magnani Pescia Editions 140gsm paper into 14cmX18 cm sheets in preparation for printing my daily words booklet. The paper was cut with a knife and rotary paper cutter. The end result was 155 sheets - plenty for the job and proofs.

Late on Saturday I spend time in preparation for today - cutting rusty metal sheet on my bench mounted guillotine. I was amazed that it managed to cut rusted 1.5-2mm thick mild steel. I guess the almost 1m long lever helps. I used all the heavily pitted rusted metal on the post today.

Following are a few photos of the four faces of the post completed today. This post is 20cm square and 1.4 m long. The post will be set into gravel - about 20cm deep.




A few photos of some of the detail.



I have one post to complete - this post is about 1.2m long - so the working space is going to be 80cm in length on each face. A task for next week.


1 comment:

  1. I'm having quite a time trying to imagine having the patience to hand cut 155 sheets of paper, let alone a guillotine sturdy enough to cut through 2 mm of steel ... and I continue to be amazed at how quickly you transition from one scale of work to another ... can't wait to see the posts in their new home!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.