Friday, April 21, 2023

Metal cottages - I must be in my Maleny workshop

 

We arrived back to our Maleny home yesterday morning. We are still jet lagged; but given it is Friday I felt I could do a couple of hours in the workshop.

When we return to Scotland for the exhibition in September we will also be doing a couple of markets so my mind is turning to product. I think small pewter cottages (3cm long, 2.5cm high and 2cm wide) could sell. I have experimented with two moulds - graphite and sand. I think the sand works best; but I need to form the sand mould for each pour - see the sand mould above ready for a pour.

Photos following show the poured metal - a heart as a by-product; and the mould after removing the formed cottage.



I was not totally happy with the graphite mould cottages -see below. I have decided to grind them - see photo below.


I think the two cottages complement each other - one has the sand mould marks; and the other has the ground makes.


I will probably at least 6 of each for the markets.

2 comments:

  1. I love the ground that is formed by the overflow of pewter in the sand mold ... and wondering, can the sand be reformed and thereby reused? ... Liz A (because Blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LA - thanks for being so faithful and interested enough to check out my blog posts - if only I was dedicated enough to reply in good time. I keep the overflow on when it is attractive otherwise I guillotine it off and it goes back into the furnace. I usually remove the burnt sand, add a bit more into the container and then form the new mould - so it is reused. Go gently . B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.