Sunday, October 29, 2023

Fishing huts

 

Just before we departed the cottage I took a moment to start a postcard sized water colour painting of the fishing huts at Armadale cove. As you can see from a comparison between the opening image and the photo of the actual scene taken on a rare sunny day, the painting is quite rudimentary and raw. I used graphite water colour pencils and a small watercolour brush.

A couple of process images follow. As you can see from the second of the process images it is quite difficult to judge how the the watercolour pencil colours will turn out before one applies water. Of course I could make a colour chart I hear you say!!!!


I said to Fiona that this painting experience has prompted me to try to use actual watercolours in future postcard watercolour paintings when I'm at the cottage. To this end I have bought a travelling set of Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolours. I have also bought a small watercolour tutorial book; and could yet seek out an actual  tutor in watercolour painting.

3 comments:

  1. I love your paining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much like what you've accomplished with the pencils, which can be quite challenging to use in my experience ... it will be fun to see what you think of using watercolours ... Liz A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet Great painting!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.