Saturday, August 24, 2019

Hard as stone

©2019 Fiona Dempster - Stone cutting in progress
Art today was about attempting to do a little stone cutting on a tumbled rock (below) from the cove.


The stone was duly marked up - keeping it simple I chose a leaf shape given it was almost 12 months since I had picked up one of the chisels we had left in the cottage.

©2019 Barry Smith - Leaf marked up
Then it was out to the wee storage shed to begin the cutting process.

©2019 Fiona Dempster - Using the small storage shed behind the cottage as "the highland studio"

Obviously the stone I picked up from the cove was hard as - lots of silica inclusions - so I had to take it slowly to avoid chipping and the cutting itself was just slow. Still I managed some art on Friday at the cottage which is good.


©2019 Barry Smith - Quite a way to go 
A few more hours of delicate cutting before the stone is finished. I hope to do a leaf series whilst over here - I will be trying a variety of stone!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. have never tried to carve stone with hand tools, I admire your skill and patience (I use a dentist drill)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Barry, this is lovely. Wish I was younger. Would love to try doing this but the arthritic hands and wrist would find it a bit much I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. likewise, my fingers fairly ached at the mere thought of this

      Delete
  3. MC n P - hi to you both. What a tiny space for working in but good that it is out of the weather. MC - mainly takes patience. P - arthritic hands would make it nigh impossible - holding the slim chisels does cause the fingers to crink at times. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.