Sunday, July 19, 2020

An artists' book

©2020 Barry Smith - A fractured and riveted vessel - a photo for the back of the regular version of the artists' book - the poem I'm using is about the breaks and fractures in life.
Fiona an I have set ourselves a challenge to make an artists book based on certain parameters including it will not be bound; and it will include words such as a poem.

I chose to do a book from a single sheet of paper. This sounds simple but when you combine it with the fact that there will be 8 pages (not including the back of the sheet); and the goal is to do one print and therefore one lock up of the type. I have never made a single sheet book before; and I never did the type setting for such a book - what could go wrong???

Well as you can see many things can go wrong. The layout and sequence of the pages is a challenge - odd sequence and half were upside down as well as back to front. Strangely I followed the set out I had on an instruction sheet - but of course that was how it should look once it was printed; and of course the end result was wrong.

©2020 Barry Smith - Type set in the wrong sequence
Fiona and I did a brain storming session and we (mainly Fiona) worked out the correct typesetting layout. I used the challenge as an opportunity to improve the layout and lock up.


©2020 Barry Smith - A few bits of paper and a couple of proofs and we had it sorted.
©2020 Barry Smith - A couple minor edits and the printing can progress


©2020 Barry Smith - Type set in the right sequence
The outcome was right sequence etc - the proof was used to fix typos and slightly improve the alignment. Back to proofing - good outcome and now ready to print: but first chose the best paper. Fortunately I have an in-house paper consultant (Fiona) we tested 5 papers for print quality and folding flexibility.

©2020 Barry Smith - Choosing the appropriate paper
In the end we chose two papers for two limited editions: MAP paper for the regular version; and synthetic vellum for the version that meets the transparency parameter of our project description. I printed about 19 for the regular version (I want an edition of about 15); and 8 for the vellum version (I want and edition of 5). I used the 1890 Lightning Jobber press for the printing.

©2020 Barry Smith - Chase locked in, inked up; registration marked up - good to print.
©2020 Barry Smith - A table of prints
The backs of the books will be printed towards the end of next week; and folding will occur when the ink on the back is dry.


3 comments:

  1. Oh what fun. I have always hand printed so haven't had to work out which way up each page is printed. They will be lovely when you finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING effort B! great outcome - and such persistence.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.