Friday, June 14, 2024

New life- new memories

 

I was given a small stash of old and neglected silver-plated metal in case I could use it. I always ask to see if the person gifting the metal wanted to retain some connection with the pieces. In this case I agreed to make earrings for three family members if I could find metal that was still ok to use.

As you can see from the opening photo I have made five pair of earrings - I always like to give myself choice. I have made these earrings with the texture of the tray to the front.

The process photos start with blanks cut out of one of the trays. I also gave a piece of the metal the bend test to see that it could handle being folded - which it did - it was silver-plated brass. The photos also show that there are quite a number of steps involved in making leaf earrings.





The following photo is after I had added jump rings and earwigs to the ground, drilled and polished leaves.

And I took time to give my 'love' and 'joy' stamped earrings (see below) for Scotland a final grind and polish on the wheel.

I get a good vibe when I can gift back to people who give me material in a way that gives them a piece of their history but with a new purpose to create new memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.