Friday, September 2, 2016

Avian fonts finished

©2016 Barry Smith - Section of font bowl contrasting with the rust-bank table
Some time ago I posted on some fonts I was making. I reflected on the fact that some folk suggested they were really birdbaths. Velma suggested that they could be called avian fonts - I like that so that is what they are - Avian Fonts.

I got to finish the bowls of both and attached them to the rusted supports I had attached to the posts. I needed to plug the holes that were in the centre of the metal (bottoms of old jardinieres); so I riveted centre pieces in on both sides of the plate. The bowls retain their hammer marks and some patina.

©2016 Barry Smith - Copper riveted to the outside of font bowl
©2016 Barry Smith - Brass riveted to the inside of font bowl
©2016 Barry Smith - Fractured bowl in need of repair
©2016 Barry Smith - Riveted insert - 0n the grinding bench

©2016 Barry Smith - Riveted repair - on the rust-bank table
I also added some squares of brass from an old tray I cut us some time ago too protect the top of the posts and add another design element.

©2016 Barry Smith - Brass piece to protect the top of the post
And the fonts look goo with the water in them and in the landscape.

©2016 Barry Smith - Avian Font in the landscape

©2016 Barry Smith - Two Avian Fonts in the landscape
They are ready now for sale.  No I'm off to have a Friday afternoon beer at our new boutique brewery with Fiona's brother who is visiting this weekend.

©2016 Barry Smith - Hammered brass on hammered brass

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous avian fonts! These are fantastic. I really like your inspired riveted repair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avian fonts! What next, canine boudoirs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky the birds who get to cavort in these avian fonts, Barry! They are stunning! I love the riveted mend on the broken bowl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi R, AA, JM & C - thanks for checking out the fonts and your encouraging comments.. AA & C - the riveted repair certainly gives the font a sense of age and past use; and as you say it gives an added design feature!!! JM - do you think that canines would like a rusty or brass shelter??? All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look stunning, are you really going to sell them? They look perfect where they are.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.