Friday, December 21, 2018

Metal mania


©2018 Barry Smith - The flat serving sections of about 20-25 small silver-plated trays
 At this time of the year I tend to have an urge to sort out my garage-studio space so that I can start the year a little more organised. This has resulted in my going through containers and shelves of my bits for making Artisan Lamp; and sorting through my watch and clock bits used in jewellery. That has all gone quite well.

This week I decided to rationalise my silver-plated metal stash. Whilst the larger trays stack well and can be cut as needed the small trays take up more room as they usually have attached ornaments and feet and have curved sides. Out of the shelves I pulled about 30 such trays and spent a couple of days sweating the ornaments and feet off and cutting the trays up. Not all the trays were suitable for my work so five were put aside to give to metal recyclers. From the bases of about 25 trays I managed to rescue the stash of metal in the opening photo. Offcuts resulted in the following bits.

©2018 Barry Smith - About 40 pieces to make Peace Leaves - cut to 25mm wide and about 12-13cm long
©2018 Barry Smith - Small blanks - about 20mm wide and 8-10cm long for making small inspirational leaves
Since I had the guillotine in action I decided to cut up other pieces for planned 2019 projects including: a series of small metal books; a series of book earrings; blanks for bowls; and 63 pieces (30mm square) cut from a single larger tray for International Peace Day.

These pieces are now in their various containers in a larger storage container on the shelves.

©2018 Barry Smith - Pieces ready for projects
©2018 Barry Smith - Pieces ready for projects
There can be ornamental bits that get harvested as part of the cutting process including those in the photos below.

©2018 Barry Smith 
©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith 
Small high quality silver-plated copper bits were also harvested for smelting at a later date.

©2018 Barry Smith - Chips of silver-plated copper
©2018 Barry Smith - Chips of silver-plated copper
So a great time of harvesting useable metal. Now I can easily see and select the metal I want for jobs; and of course identify gaps in the metal stash that can be filled from op-shops. or gifts from folk.

1 comment:

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.