Friday, December 20, 2019

Leather covered journals

©2019 Barry Smith - Journals with soft leather covers
The end of the year seems to encourage me to do a bit of sorting and culling of art resources. In fossicking through one of my cupboards I came across a number of packs of journal blanks - about 30 to be more precise. I also rediscovered a small box of soft leather which had been purchased with covering journals in mind. The blanks are 13cmX9cmX1.5cm. Very good fine and strong cream archival journal paper - some lined and some blank.

So today I decided to get stuck in and make as many as I could. As you can see from the photo at the end of the blog I got 10 done.

A few photos of the process follow.

©2019 Barry Smith - Cutting a stash of covers
©2019 Barry Smith - Applying leather book binding glue - including glueing the leather thong tie in place
©2019 Barry Smith - Plastic sheets to ensure the glue only goes on the cover sheets
©2019 Barry Smith - Leather in place ready for the journal to spend some time in the book press
©2019 Barry Smith - Out of the book press, trimmed and tied
The completed 10 look pretty good.

©2019 Barry Smith - A good stack of journals that will fit nicely in a travelling bag
I will keep going until the stash of journal blanks or the leather runs out.

1 comment:

  1. They look very nice Barry, always a suckered for a nice journal. Hope you and Fiona have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.