Sunday, December 8, 2019

Mixed bag of a weekend

©2019 Barry Smith - Annealed leaf forms in the cooling basin that I used earlier to clean a paint brush I inked the Christmas tree with - lovely colour!!!
Art or rather creativity took a few different forms over the weekend. Most of Saturday was spent doing repair and maintenance painting in the house; another rehabilitated Christmas tree was delivered; our bronze sculpture was cleaned and waxed; another rusty sculpture repaired; and I almost got ten leaf forms completed for the commission I'm working on.

First that tree - gorgeous colour don't you think?

©2019 Barry Smith - Gorgeous plum ink coloured tree
And there was heaps of badly flaking rust to be removed from the sculpture.

©2019 Barry Smith - There was so much flaking rust that I managed to harvest a couple of small bags so that Fiona and a friend can use the rust in dyeing
The leaf forms went through a pretty typical cycle - I'm up to the stage of forming the stems and then grinding and polishing.

©2019 Barry Smith - Folded silver-plated brass blanks 
©2019 Barry Smith - I decided to make the stem cuts with a saw to get a more accurate finish
©2019 Barry Smith - Marked up ready for cutting
©2019 Barry Smith - I used the guillotine to cut the leaf shapes including chipping around the corner near the stem
©2019 Barry Smith - Hammered and ready for opening
©2019 Barry Smith - Opened - now to form the stems
I'm hoping to install the leaves Tuesday of next week.

4 comments:

  1. I suspect a video (long form) of your leaf making would be mesmerizing ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your wooden xmas trees and look forward to seeing these leaves in place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that plum color ... much like the favored magenta crayon in my childhood Crayola box

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LA and MC - you are such delights in spending time to offer comments. LA - I would like to make a video but it always seems to be down the list of priorities. Isn't it lovely that clouds can be associated with times of joy. MC - the wooden Christmas tree belonged to a friend - my colouring of it was simply a favour to give it a new life. Peace and joy. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.