Friday, January 17, 2020

Fragments of time and antler

The work on the block in January continues; and time for art is snatched here and there. Today I got a couple of hours to progress the antler jewellery I have been working on. I managed to finish a couple of pair of organic twig like antler earrings. after spending time grinding and polishing the pieces.

©2020 Barry Smith - Scottish deer antler fragments with brass rivets
©2020 Barry Smith - Very twig like antler earring drops - about 40mm long
©2020 Barry Smith - Back and front views
A shelf in one of my display cabinets has an interesting range of earrings I think.

©2020 Barry Smith - A shelf of earrings made from recycled metal and natural materials such as bone, horn and antler
I am experimenting with the earrings and pendants that are made from the antler cross sections. The inner part of the antler is made up of a brown lattice of bonelike substance. I wanted to see if it was possible to fill the lattice with glass resin and in the case of one pendant and the pair of earrings also colour the lattice with permanent marker ink.

©2020 Barry Smith - Porous lattice like inner section of the antler 
©2020 Barry Smith - Sections with glass resin soaking into the porous lattice
©2020 Barry Smith- Glass resin filling the lattice
The glass resin takes about 24 hours to fully cure so I might get to finish the pendants and earrings over the weekend

2 comments:

  1. I think your antler earrings are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a netsuke carved from antler at the Japan Supernatural exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW if you are in Sydney in the next little while it's on til March 8th

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.