Friday, May 1, 2020

Revisiting Peace in the Trees

©2020 Fiona Dempster - Peace sculpture on the Peace in the Trees Sculpture Walk, Maleny
Recently Fiona and I decided to take a walk along the path in Maleny precint. Over four years ago the Peace in the Trees Sculptural Walk was opened. At the time the the 12 sandstone monoliths were cemented securely into the ground and had very little plant and tree growth around them.

These days you need to look a bit more closely to find the sculptures amidst the trees and Lomandras. Fiona and I decided to return to the walk and begin to do a bit of maintenance to enable the walk and the pieces to be enjoyed a little more.

My piece on peace is the first sculpture at the town and of the walk. I have been told it is a favourite with dogs, Looking at the base of the sculpture I think that could be true - all the soil and gravel has been raked away by dogs.

©2020 Fiona Dempster - Looking a little bare!!!!
Fiona and I decided to carry a couple of buckets of gravel and to restore the area around the base.

©2020 Fiona Dempster - Attempting to make a rock barrier to keep the gravel in.
©2020 Fiona Dempster - Pouring in the fine gravel
We also took out battery operated hedger to cut back the lomandras that had hidden a couple of the sculptures, like Kim's Solace, so that they can be seen again.

©2020 Fiona Dempster - Getting stuck in
©2020 Fiona Dempster - Creating a window?
©2020 Fiona Dempster - Beautifully weathered Solace - certainly in the trees.
There is still work to be done - over the next couple of months we or other artist might give the sculptures a truce up.

I thought I'd share a recent photo of our peace book sculpture - still making a strong statement.

©2020 Barry Smith - Peace Books Sculpture



2 comments:

  1. Love your Peace sculpture Barry, my morning walk takes me past it every day. I’ll look forward to observing the “ clean up”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your Peace sculpture is weathering beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.