Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sorting, cleaning testing - leads to production

©2020 Barry Smith - An old ornament that has been cleaned and inked up
Over time Fiona and I have acquired lead and other pieces that are known as ornaments - not word type but rather bits and pieces that are decorative in nature.

©2020 Barry Smith  - A small selection of the ornaments that I intend to print
In the past Fiona had inked up a few pieces and stamped paper by hand to see how they might print; but we really needed to sort the tray and just check how they would print on a press.

Amongst our Adana presses we also have a wee 5inchX3inch press. So I decided I'd do some printing to test out how the wee Adana worked; and see how some of the ornaments printed.

©2020 Barry Smith  - Small Adana chase with rose ornament locked in - you can see in a past life the ornament was not cleaned after use. The locking on this small press chase is done using inbuilt grub screws in the bottom and right hand arms of the chase - quite ingenious
©2020 Barry Smith  - Small Adana inked up ready for action; the chase is held in the press also using grub screws in the top and right hand side of the cast iron frame.

©2020 Barry Smith  - Using a piece of clear plastic sheet to check where the print will land - makes registration easier
Once I knew how the Adana worked and how ornaments might print I decided to print a series so we have a bit of a sampler. But as you know one thing leads to another - so I decided I might as well print 20 of each in gift card size.

©2020 Barry Smith  - About 240 pieces of Mohawk superfine smooth white 270 gsm paper cut to 9cmX5.5cm in size
 ©2020 Barry Smith  - Proofing - these could be used in a sampler
In the end I printed about 13 individual and clusters of ornaments.

©2020 Barry Smith  - Inked up in blue - book related ornament
©2020 Barry Smith  - Line up of 5 squares made from 9 ornaments each
©2020 Barry Smith  - Gift cards with - squares made up of 9 24pt ornaments in each case
I'm cleaning the ornaments as I go and re-organising the type tray they have been stored in. I have quite a way to go but it is worth it - rescued history.

2 comments:

  1. They are lovely, you do need to know how they look. I think I am very ignorant about type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scrolled down and back several times ... beginning to comprehend the process, each time a bit more

    but also, just looking at each ornament, loving the intricacy of them, the feel of another time and place ... that first red one especially

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.