Sunday, December 13, 2020

Bookmarks and patinated leaf-forms

 

It was one of my days in the studio yesterday. I used it to emboss a few sets of bookmarks I had printed last week; and I printed a couple more. The couple I printed yesterday were more for younger folk - so Micky Mouse and a butterfly. A close up of the detail of the butterfly ornament is above.



Today I got back onto progressing the leaf forms I started on Friday. I did a test on riveting one of the leaves to aluminium rod - a change away from rusted iron rod I have used in the past. The prototype is below - wedged in the drain outlet in the workshop floor. Overall it measures 70cm from tip to tail.

A few more photos of the process: opening folded and hammered forms with an oyster knife; then fully opening them using a brass cube and soft hammer; and then the 18 were ground and patinated today.




Weather permitting I will use a fixative on the patina and then rivet the leaf forms to the rod.

2 comments:

  1. love watching your leaf making process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All looking great Barry! Love that butterfly, even if I’m an old kid! Go well, Carol

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.