Friday, December 18, 2020

Men at work!!!

 

I introduced a couple of young men to metal. I offered to have the nephews of a friend spend an afternoon (3 hours) in the metal workshop - they were on holidays in Maleny.

I don't teach metal work as such; but from time to time I work with folk to introduce them to the skills of the 'trade'.  After a bit of a yarn it was decided that they were going to try to make a few things for their mum - a small bowl, a riveted pendant and, time permitting, a set of leaf earrings. You will see from the last photo that they achieved all three. 

A few process photos follow.




One of the young men had a broken arm so his holding ability was hampered a bit - I needed to hold metal from time to time. We overcame the inability to get a glove on his plastered hand by fitting leather finger gloves.


Given they had not done this work before - and were not really familiar with tools I think they did well - they were very happy and hoped their mum will be as well. They had to do all the work - I did none of the work for them. They even did the riveting.


When I do this work with folk I put a lot of effort into workshop safety  - so goggles, gloves, closed shoes etc were required.

5 comments:

  1. (((Barry))) they did a great job under your guidance, having a broken arm was some challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lucky mum ... she will surely be over-the-moon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great fun! I'm sure their Mum will be amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful of you to teach them these skills. A day they will surely remember fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, Barry! They did a great job. You’re a good teacher. Go well, Carol

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.