Saturday, September 24, 2022

Starting Post 37

 

Have been commissioned to make a post that reflects the history of a daily farm. The main elements will be a very old rusted strainer post set in stone and various farm implements including clydesdale horse horseshoe. 

I have started the post including joining 125mmX95mm timbers and capping the slightly rotted tops with heavy channel iron as you can see above - cut with the trusty side grinder.

Photos of the strainer post and other bits provided are below. Not all the bits and pieces will find a home on the post.




The basic design for the post follows. I gave the post the working title of Bluebelle Cottage; but the official historical name for the post is Post 37.

Photos of the starting process follow. I started by grinding off accumulated grime and old paint - a real outdoor job - but so glad I have my sidegrinder to sand and to cut metal. You will see from the state of the timbers that it rained on and off as I worked this afternoon.




I will be away from the cottage next week so I will need to work on the post in a couple of weeks time. 


2 comments:

  1. Gosh look after your hands. As beautiful as the wood and rusted items are... I bet they can be tough to work with. Congratulations on a great commission. I think Im going to love it. Looking forward to the photos when you're done. OOOooo I want and neeeed those keys and horse shoes and wait.. what else do you have? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The diagram gives wonderful insight into your process ... it's a work of art in and of itself, with its lovely touches of watercolor

    the keys are beyond wonderful ... perhaps they can convey some rust onto cloth as a keepsake to take home with you ...

    but what, pray tell, is a strainer post?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.