Sunday, November 19, 2023

Preserving and sharing memories; and a different take on pearl pendants

 

I get asked reasonably often if I can use old wares - I can't always make use of things in my own work. However, I do ask folk if they want me to make something so they can preserve and share memories.

Recently I was asked if I wanted some vintage silver-plated cutlery. Often I can use a small amount of cutlery; but only if I can make earrings or melt some of it down. After assessing the bag of cutlery above  I contacted the owner to say whilst the set had some vintage retail value I could not use it as it was silver-plated stainless steel - just too hard; very hard to drill and grind; and not able to be melted as you can see from the photos below.


I did say I could make some memory pieces; and this is what I have done - pendants for younger and older grandchildren and the owner of the cutlery - and a couple of spares as you can see in the opening photo. The pendants will look grand with silver chains as you can see in the photo below.

I am pleased I have the skill and tools to enable folk to carry some small pieces and memories into the future. The rest of the cutlery will most likely go to an opshop.

I did get to progress some more of the pearl pieces. I concentrated on riveting gold plate to the pearl pieces - see below. I used brass rivets to tone in with the gold-plate. I think they will look grand with jump rings and chains etc.

I'm thinking I will probably have an open day in the next couple of weeks so people can pick up some pearl and gold-plate for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.