Friday, April 5, 2013

More for Japan

I know our art-culture sister city exchange trip to Tatebayashi Japan is 6 weeks away but I know that preparatory tasks left to the last moment often can be wiped out by other demands. So while I have a little time I'm doing the preparatory stuff instead of doing some of the me creative things I might want to do.

So yesterday I went on a metal cutting and annealing frenzy; and today I got into making 'gift leaves' - leavers that will be given away to folk in Japan who will help us by translating, transporting and taking us to good party spots.

All the metal was cut from recycled metal objects: small copper tanks and laundry boilers; brass jardinieres; small EPNS and silver-plated copper trays; and a zinc-brass spray container.

©2013 Barry Smith - Stash of 'gift leaves' for Japan - the leaf with pattern is cut from a EPNS drink tray
Whilst I have shown the various steps of the leaf making process before on my blog it still intrigues me that the making of the leaves is somewhat metamorphic.

©2013 Barry Smith - Stash of annealed metal folded and cut to half leaf form
©2013 Barry Smith - Stash of hammered cut leaf forms
©2013 Barry Smith - Stash of forms annealed again and opened and formed
©2013 Barry Smith - Stash of leaves - sanded with flap wheel and initial clean and polish with steel wire wheel
The above stash of leaves still need a polish on a cloth wheel. That will take another hour or two - but they are already looking pretty good. Packaging will make them a little more special. The leaves vary in size from about 10cm to 15cm.

Must away to support Fiona in the final preparations for dinner at our place with Noela, Ken and a couple of other art friends. I believe there is red wine to be given the breath of life; and bubbles to be be given their freedom.

9 comments:

  1. Love the leaf with the floral pattern on it, and Bon Apetit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure your leaves are going to be a great hit in Japan; they will love them as much as I do...

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello, Barry.

    Lovely and heartwarming your works..
    Please enjoy the color of spring.

    Thank you for your visit.
    I thank for your usual and hearty support.
    The prayer for all peace.

    Have a good weekend. From Japan, ruma❃

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely leaves. They will be gratefully received by all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea Barry. It makes me think of the paper cranes that are left at the statue of Sadako in Japan to remember departed ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, pretty pictures! Those leaves are truly gorgeous carved ... Good job ...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh B ... i do love the added swirls on the leaves ... think you should make more textured leaves :)
    well, hope you guys had a real nice time catching them bubbles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Luthien said - "Ahhh". Simply gorgeous leaves. They will be loved in their new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. VA, AM, Ruma, JM, R, L, LT & C - thanks for your positive support re the leaves. VA & LT - you have support in our team for the leaves with swirls-floral pattern - looks like I have to cut up another drink tray to make a couple more. Ruma - I'm looking forward to the visit and sharing spring, the blossoms and peace with the people of Tatebayashi. JM - I'm always amazed that people do appreciate the gift of a leaf. R - I really like that notion of the leaves being a little like the peace cranes - they are given with peace and for keepsake. L - glad you like the leaf forms. LT & C - the ahhhs have it - and I am already forming more textured leaves. All - go well and peace be yours. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.