Friday, January 19, 2018

Love is the answer

©2018 Barry Smith - Love is the answer - silver brass ingot with crystals and solid silver beads (about 2cmX2.5cm)
Mo Crow is doing a project with some of the key words being "I dream of a world where love is the answer". Some folk are making and contributing pennants; and some folk might be contributing talismans. The talismans for the project are to be special tiny pieces that are no bigger than 1.5cmX1.5cm.

I think of a talisman as something that one can: carry in one's pocket; have on a string around one neck; or in a small talisman bag of bits and pieces. So I decided to make a talisman out of melted metal - a powerful amalgam of different metals.

I started by cutting up some metal pieces I had melted some time ago.

©2018 Barry Smith - Cutting metal with my jeweller's saw
©2018 Barry Smith - Some cut bits
And then stamping them with the key word - love. I sort of got carried away and made 7 talismans; and one bigger piece. The metal stamp alphabet is tiny (about1-1.5mm); and I need to use a magnifying glass to check I have the right letter.

©2018 Barry Smith - Polished bits on the bench - the flip sides of the pieces have the beautiful patterns made as the metal cools.
Three pieces sort of fit together to make up the words - the answer is love.

©2018 Barry Smith - The answer is love
The other four are randoms.

©2018 Barry Smith - Random love
I need to check what I will send to Mo Crow.

©2018 Barry Smith - Peace 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Barry this is all so beautiful, love is the answer, magic is afoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing "pantry" of pieces you have! The first piece is a masterwork, but I was especially taken by the tri-part mosaic look of "love is the answer" ... "the answer is love" ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MC and LA - lovely to have both of you visit and comment on these bits given that both of you work hard to promote peace and love.MC - magic indeed. LA - thanks for your generous comments - I had fun making all the bits - putting a little love into them. Peace and love. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your talisman offerings on Mo's blog, it's wonderful to come here and see how you made these nuggets of love and I am in awe of your craftsmanship...and those teeny tiny stamped words...perfect. All beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I loved reading about your process and seeing the close-up photos. The puzzle one, with all of the pieces fitting together makes such a statement. May we all be a 'piece' of the solution. Just beautiful Barry. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. somehow i sorta missed this project, but i've loved seeing these talismans, barry.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.