Sunday, November 11, 2018

Developing our skills

©2018 Barry Smith - Stitching sections together around the tapes
Fiona and I have just spent two days at a bookbinding workshop with the Queensland Bookbinders Guild. I had done some bookbinding many many years ago. So really for both of us it was the opportunity to develop our bookbinding skills which will complement the letterpress work we do with Deckled Edge Press.

Following are a few images from the couple of days

©2018 Barry Smith - Stitching the sections together 
©2018 Barry Smith - Header tape etc glued in place - ready for the cover
©2018 Barry Smith - About to glue the shoulders of the book into the cover (the case)
And a couple of my bound journal which I made from beginning to end on the course.

©2018 Barry Smith - Completed cloth and paper bound journal
©2018 Barry Smith - Detail of the header tape and curve of the spine
©2018 Barry Smith - Fiona's and my journals at home on Fiona's workbench for the glue to fully dry.
It was a great learning experience with generous and skilled teachers.

4 comments:

  1. Green with envy. What a great class to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookbinding is fascinating ... looking back I wish I had spent more time at the Colonial Williamsburg bookbinder's shop (not to mention the printer's shop). If I only knew then what I know now.

    In any case, your end product is wonderful and promises much goodness to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Barry))) well done, have made two cased in books in this lifetime, both times I managed to lay the text block in upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.