Friday, November 30, 2018

Tall and slender - Artisan Lamp that is


©2018 Barry Smith - Polished bits for the lamp - each of the cylinders is about 20cm-25cm long
I planned to finish paint the edge boards of our decks in the cool and shadow today; so I got started on an Artisan Floor Lamp on Wednesday. The lamp got finished this afternoon.

The tall slender lamp was inspired by five solid fuel pods off vintage plumbers soldering irons (after and before photos are above and below).  The fuel pods act as the handle of the soldering iron and have a built in hand operated pressure pump.

©2018 Barry Smith - The handles-fuel pods of the pressure soldering irons looked as though they had a hard life. I had used the heads of the soldering irons in other Artisan Lamps.
I gave the polished bits a coat of clear spray.

©2018 Barry Smith - you might note a couple of holes drilled on the edges of the cylinders - that is where the power cord will be threaded through the bodies.
And as is the way of my lamp designs it takes time to select other bits that will go with the main element. I needed a stable base so a cast-iron wheel and a cast iron pulley were selected. To make the whole lamp tight and stable I selected a 10mm thick brass metal thread to go right up the centre and hold it all together with nuts at the top and bottom.

©2018 Barry Smith - Cleaned and painted cast-iron bits for the lamp base
I tested the assembling of the lamp on the workbench.

©2018 Barry Smith
The finished lamp has come together well.

©2018 Barry Smith Artisan Floor Lamp - stands about 1.5m high
©2018 Barry Smith
Time for a very cool glass of white wine on this warm day.

3 comments:

  1. We often see artisan lamps when we gallery hop these days ... always we say, "Barry could have done these, but better." The difference is almost always in the care with which you finish the metals (while honoring the marks that past life has left on some of them) and the balance you achieve with your remarkable array of bits. I never tire of seeing the next great thing to emerge from your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J and LA - sorry it has been a while since I got myself organised to respond to comments - I really appreciate them. J - quirky inspiration? LA - that is a very kind comment - makes me smile that you might have such thoughts on the other side of the globe. Choosing the right bits and putting time into the design and polish can make the difference I think. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.