Friday, March 20, 2020

Inspiration and the beginning of execution


©2020 Barry Smith - Collagraph prints from my earlier urban series.
I have decided to do a series of A3 posters that, in general terms, reflect messages posted or grafitti on walls. I want to do letterpress over collagraph prints that are based on worn urban walls. The inspiration for this came from collagraphs that I did a few years ago that I referred to as an industrial-urban series. The opening photo is of some of those earlier prints.

The planning started with a cup of coffee and a Tim Tam whilst reading some books on poster prints.

©2020 Barry Smith  - Table and chairs in our new letterpress studio
©2020 Barry Smith  - Inspiration
The text of my first poster will focus on hope in dark times.

©2020 Barry Smith  - Fiona is trying to teach me the good habit of documenting what I do
The collagraph will be based on a photo I took in 2013 with my iPhone.

©2020 Barry Smith  - Love the textures and colours
A few of the process photos follow.

©2020 Barry Smith  - Building up the collagraph
©2020 Barry Smith  - Shellacing the base board - flaky shellac gives extra texture  and I'm trying to get shellac along the edges of the card to create shadows
©2020 Barry Smith  - You can see I have used braille paper to give an added industrial texture
There is still a long way to go with this; but we will see how it progresses and then prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.