Sunday, March 21, 2021

Hard to see the progress



 Above - repairing a starburst chip on an ornate crystal box.

Today I decided to work on a repair job I'm doing for a friend - stabilising the cracks in a crystal box; and replacing chips that broke off and were lost when the piece was accidentally damaged.

I could not replace the chips with a clear hard setting material so we have agreed to us a product that sets like a white ceramic - though softer in that it can be filed with diamond files such as below.

But the repair needs to be built up. I thought that two applications of the product would do the job; but after quite a bit of filing today I was not satisfied and have added a third layer in a few parts.

Some photos of the filing of the product - I used my jewellers magnifying lamp to give me clear view of what I needed to remove.








You can see where i needed to add bit more product.



So the repair will be completed next week after the product has dried and can be filed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi LA and MC - thanks for checking this work in progress. I won't paint the repairs but the owner might - we will see what happens. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.