Friday, March 15, 2024

Carving vase forms


A few weeks ago Fiona and I did a timber vase carving workshop. Since then we have been collecting some odds and ends of timber that we can carve.

Today I did a test run and carved a couple of stone shaped vases - one out of camphor laurel offcuts (see opening photo); one out of the salvaged liquid amber timber - see below.

Photo of the  vases holding a bit of foliage are below. The larger vase is 7cm in diameter; and the smaller one is 4.5cm in diameter.

Following are a few photos of the some of the timber I have prepared for Fiona and I to do a vase carving play day in the near future.



Below are a few process-progress images from today.









I must say I had a lot of fun carving these wee forms today.

2 comments:

  1. Long ago and faraway, I went to a craft show in Cedarburg, Wisconsin … a woodcarver was selling painted wooden figures, gnome-like with a Santa Claus vibe … but what caught and held my interest was the figure he was working on … the faceted cuts were still visible, not yet sanded away, and the wood was still bare of any color or finish … I loved it and asked to buy it as it was, offering to pay full price … 30+ years later, it is still one of my favorite Christmas decorations … all that by way of saying how much I like the faceted vase-in-progress in the middle of your post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet. Anvilartifacts.comMarch 17, 2024 at 1:15 AM

    These are fabulous! Must be very satisfying to see these beauties taking shape.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.