Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Timber and metal in balance

I was pretty keen to create this small sculpture. I wanted a piece that only used only two materials - scrap metal and salvaged timber in some form of simple material harmony. Of course I also want to experiment with getting a 200mm cube of rose gum to balance on one edge to symbolise the fact that we can easily go one way of the other in response to the tensions and push of life. The piece also has a balance between triangles and squares, shapes and angles.


I think the finished product has gravitas yet simplicity. I imagine the ‘pocket’ created by the vee shaped wedge cut out of the face of the block, lined with brass and covered by the brass sheet could be used to hold cards or hand-made book with some inspirational text – might need to talk to Fiona about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.