Friday, December 28, 2012

Raising new bowls

In between making leaf-forms,  Found and Formed jewellery, and Christmas trees, I have been continuing to work on my bowl raising. This form of metal work is quite taxing as each bowl needs to be annealed many times; and beaten many times to take the metal from the flat sheet to a curved form.

Sometimes I get it right and can curve the bowl past what I call the the semicircle open point as with this small copper bowl.

©2012 Barry Smith - Copper raised bowl 
©2012 Barry Smith - Copper raised bowl 
Other times I push hard and end up with a good shape but the metal begins to fold and stress when I reach a certain point as attempt to push it past the semicircle open bowl point.

©2012 Barry Smith - Copper raised bowl  - with folds
©2012 Barry Smith - Copper raised bowl 
And sometimes I just like the fact that I have taken a piece of metal and created a beautiful open bowl with beautiful markings.

©2012 Barry Smith - Silver-plated EPNS after about 4-5 annealings and beatings
©2012 Barry Smith - A pair of silver-plared EPNS bowls after 10-12 annealings and beatings
©2012 Barry Smith - A pair of silver-plared EPNS bowls after 10-12 annealings and beatings
None of the bowls have been polished - and I'm a bit inclined to leave them like that as I like the shine created by the hammer strokes and the hammer marks themselves.

8 comments:

  1. I agree, they look lovely with the suttle shine on them.
    Have a wonderfull creative 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so fascinated with the bowls - these are really wonderful and i happen to like the folds, though i do understand your technical points...
    i can see them tucked in around in the landscape, catching rainwater and bits of leaves and such -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry - I love them ALL, and their unpolished-ness, too. Particularly fond of that top one... that rounded gourd-like shape is my favorite! Beautiful work.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled when I read the title of your entry: 'Raising new bowls' as in 'raising children' or 'raising chickens'. I can imagine you nursing your bowls, grooming them and taking them out for a walk. It would be a magical sight, you walking at the head of a line of bowls that follow you closely -and affectionately. A fairy tale of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ersi's comment is delightful! A wonderful thought picture. The bowls are so beautiful, just as they are. I know I will need to have one, one day. Happy bowl raising in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the magic of working metal continues to fascinate me as i watch your explorations. i love that fist copper piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B - its amazing the amount of times you have to anneal and beat to create a bowl, nice to share in your process. K

    ReplyDelete
  8. M, MJ, VA, E, C, V & K - thanks for your positive feedback and wishes for 2013. May you and all in our blog community have a healthy, joyfilled and creative 2013. M - I like it that the subtle shine is created by hammer strokes. MJ - most of the pod forms have been smallish; maybe I need to work up to bigger outdoor pieces. VA - gourd like is right; and it just fits in the palm of the hand so beautifully. E - I just had to LOL in response to you story. C - who knows what the future brings?? V - bit like your eco-dying and shifu really - all the pieces tend to be unique.. K- surprising just how much work goes into such small works - but still such satisfaction to take the metal from flat to form. All - go well now and in 2013. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.