Friday, May 12, 2017

Mixed bag

Sometimes I jump from one thing to another in my art. This can be because I want a change; but over the last couple of days it has been because folk want things done all about the same time. I had a requests: to make a couple of new Artisan Lamps; draw a post sculpture proposal for a small courtyard; and restring some glass beads and make earrings from the same beads.

But first the lamps. Always starts with gorgeous found objects.

©2017 Barry Smith - Gauges, switches and stop-value handles
And then cutting pieces up; and doing test assembling.

©2017 Barry Smith - Very large and heavy brass stop valve I bought quite a few years ago.
©2017 Barry Smith - Cut valve makes sturdy bases for potential Artisan Lamps
The post sculptures, an installation of 5 posts (17cm square hardwood), will have snake and water motifs.

©2017 Barry Smith - Sketch of proposed post sculpture with snake and water motifs
The glass beads were very colourful. They had been bought by the owner when she was 15 and on a trip to Italy - so they were full of memories. I made earrings out of two of the bigger and two of the smaller beads. I restrung the necklace on 7 ply gold coloured cats-tail wire.

©2017 Barry Smith - Necklace given new life after spending many years unstrung in a drawer

Such variation - but all about bringing joy. I hope too get the lamps completed over the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Barry, my gifts arrived safely and we're a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see what you are up to Barry.
    I like the cut valves for a base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi P and TL - thank you for taking the time to visit the blog and to leave a comment. So much of the social media leaves one short of time these days and we often just take the like short cuts. P - glad the pies of metal arrived. TL - I enjoy seeing your images of your surrounds - thanks for continuing to share those. The cut valves have worked well as the lamp bases. Peace. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.