Friday, May 26, 2017

School of Funky Fish 2

©2017 Barry Smith - A few fish faces!!!
The School of Funky Fish I entered into the Aspects Art Show won the best contemporary prize; and was also sold. I have started a second School of Funky Fish which, like my leaf inspired Bending sculptures, might become a series. There were seven fish in the first school; but I'm not sure if this school will be five or seven. I will decide once the next batch are complete.

The fish bodies are made from curved sections of old brass jardinieres; and the head, fins, tail etc are all made from various bits of silver-plated EPNS - mostly offcuts of trays I have harvested when cutting up trays for bigger works.

©2017 Barry Smith  - Setting out and selecting potential components 
After making a selection of bits and doing a bit of a mock-up it is off to the grinding and polishing bench where the pieces show their true metallic beauty.

©2017 Barry Smith  - Rough mock-ups

©2017 Barry Smith  - More rough mock-ups
©2017 Barry Smith  - Pre-drilled and polished bits on the workbench
I managed to assemble a couple of the fish this afternoon  - the riveting is a fiddly job and can take some time. I particularly like the baby fish - about 15cm long.

©2017 Barry Smith  - Quite a cute baby fish
©2017 Barry Smith  - Medium sized Funky Fish
The riveting process associated with assembling the fish usually encourages me to polish my homemade riveting tools. I love the contrast between the rust of the recycled rods and bolts and the drilled and polished work faces.

©2017 Barry Smith  - Homemade riveting tools
A good Friday in the garage-studio - relaxing.

4 comments:

  1. Well done for winning the award!
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Barry on winning the award! I'm not surprised because I think your Funky Fish are my favourites among so many of your works that I love. Owning a set of your fish is definitely on my list of desirables.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.