Friday, May 19, 2017

Sometimes the smallest takes the most time

©2017 Barry Smith - Almost looks like a musical instrument or something from Dr Who!!!!
The Artisan Lamp that was commissioned was collected during the week- a choice of one out of the three. I decided that whilst I was in an Artisan Lamp making mood I should make a few more to boost the number to five so I can deliver them to Entangle in Dayboro.

I have wanted to make a lamp using the small brass piece above for quite a while but combining it with a base that did not overwhelm the ornate piece and its lovely taps was a challenge. But as part of rummaging around I came across an small vintage camera tripod. To the naked eye it looked like it was steel painted black. Imagine my joy when I discovered it was solid brass. Below you can see the polished tripod with all the other prepared bits that were ready for assembling into lamp form.

©2017 Barry Smith
But back to the title of the blog. To be able to attach the piece, an antique gas-light fitting - 100-150 years old, required quite a bit of rummaging and engineering to: attach thread that would carry the light fitting; drill out the body including one of the small tap to enable cable to be threaded through; and threading several bits to create the base that could attach to the screw on top of the tripod.

But the real fiddling came when I went to attach the tripod to the top section - well the small screw on top of the tripod was so brittle it just sheared off when I went to assemble the lamp. This required more engineering to drill the sheared of bits out and find another thread etc. And of course the cable would not cooperate and go around a right angled bend. More drilling through the piece and finally the cable was dragged through. However the vintage bakelite light fitting I chose was not up to speed and I blew a bulb and flicked the safety with in the house. After attaching a new fitting it was all good to go. And I think the outcome was worth it - a strong yet delicate and quirky Artisan Lamp.

©2017 Barry Smith - Tripod Artisan 
©2017 Barry Smith - Tripod Artisan 
Thanks goodness the other two lamps came together so much more easily.

©2017 Barry Smith - Refurbished and slightly modified retro desk lamp
©2017 Barry Smith - Refurbished and slightly modified retro desk lamp
©2017 Barry Smith - Mood lighting?
©2017 Barry Smith - Interesting internal section of the blowtorch
©2017 Barry Smith - Blowtorch Artisan Lamp
©2017 Barry Smith - Blowtorch Artisan Lamp
Now I'm off to make one of our favourites - home grown roast pumpkin and blue cheese risotto. To be complemented with a nice shiraz or two.

3 comments:

  1. I had a little giggle when seeing the blowtorch lamp. Fun. And, yes, sometimes small things take time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the tiny tripod lamp, worth the fiddling for sure Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your risotto is making me hungry, Barry! Sounds delish! Love these lamps, you've really become quite the master at reinventing so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.