Friday, June 23, 2017

Hammering out peace

©2017 Barry Smith - Old oyster knife used as part of the first opening process
As I was hammering the peace leaves for International Peace Day (21 Sept) I was reminded of the saying about turning swords into ploughshares. Of course in my case it is hammering silver-plated trays into peace leaves.

©2017 Barry Smith - Some tools of the trade - Anvil, recycled silver-plate and hammer
I really am in  production mode. I want 210 good peace leaves so I'm making about 230 to give me choice. I'm about two thirds of the way through hammering the folded leaf shaped blanks into folded leaf forms.

©2017 Barry Smith - Folded leaf forms
©2017 Barry Smith - First lot of hammered folded leaf forms - love this tiny hammer
I have managed to do the first opening of about a third of the hammered forms.

©2017 Barry Smith - Part of the stash of one-third of the hammered and partially opened leaves
©2017 Barry Smith - Part of the stash of one-third of the hammered and partially opened leaves
Over the weekend I'm trying to get all leaves hammered and fully opened for the last stage of grinding and polishing.

This last week has been given over to remediating the site of the Buttress Root sculpture; and attending to the affairs of my good friend who died suddenly in Jakarta three weeks ago.

4 comments:

  1. Such a very sad loss. He was always an inspiration to celebrate the richness of life. Thank you and Fiona for all you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. barry, i'm sorry for your loss. thankfully you can pound out a little of that emotion into beautiful leaves. but, oh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your loss - hoping you find some consolation in happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Barry. Your leaves are looking very fine so far, they will be wonderful when completed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.