Friday, February 19, 2021

Almost all my own work

 


For the last couple of years I have had the goal to write a poem, print it and bind it myself - all steps from beginning to end.

Well this week I have finally achieved that goal with some editing and tuition from Fiona.

I wrote a poem or piece of prose called IN THIS TIME. The work is a statement about the climate crisis and what might the future look like. The poem is in full below. Fiona edited the poem and made suggestions for alternate wording - thanks Fiona.

I am doing a limited edition of the work - most likely 20 copies all being well. The booklet is 92mm wide and 144mm long.The photo below shows the paper and font used. The paper for the cover and inner pages were hand torn; and the pages for the poem were cut on our hand guillotine. The torn pages give the booklet a soft edge; the cut pages puts the focus on the printed words. The booklet has a blind embossed title on the cover; and with have a printed band to keep it closed.

Fiona also gave me a quick lesson in three hole pamphlet stitching. The booklet is stitched with waxed linen thread.

Photos below are images of the process and textures and layers.











I'm pleased that I have achieved my goal and in the end created a work that makes a statement and is also a gorgeous little book.




7 comments:

  1. It is such a gorgeous little book and such a beautiful one to hold in the hand. The words are poignant and the whole comes together brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Barry))) this is beautiful are they in your shop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a gorgeous little book ... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an evocative expression of current circumstances! Great poem. Lovely presentation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. F, MC, LA C, S & J - I'm very appreciative of your supportive comments given this is my first foray into writing open verse. F - I think I have learnt from a great teacher. MC - they are for sale through Deckled Edge Press physical shop - $24.95. LA , S and J - thanks for your encouragement. C - thank you for your comment regarding the wording and presentation. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.