Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Of clouds, artists and storms

This post will be a real potpourri as in it I want to share: some photos of the early morning clouds in the valley; photos regarding a fellow and emerging artists; and storms in the valley.

First the valley full of clouds. Fiona and I never tire of the happenings in the valley below and a few mornings ago the valley was just awash with clouds - in fact at one stage it was not possible to see the mountains below through the clouds.

© Barry Smith - Clouds fill the valley - stitched photos
I also wanted to share a few photos of postcards that Luthien sent me when she sent the peace piece called In Honour of.... The cards are beautiful and very Luthien - full of stories and a tad of darkness to add to the mystery.
©2012 Barry Smith - Luthien's postcards
©2012 Barry Smith - Luthien's postcards
©2012 Barry Smith - Luthien's postcards
The following photos are of 'works' by emerging artists Daphne and Pearl - two young daughters of fellow artist Shannon Garson. They visited early last Saturday and spent a good hour or more with me making various things including a leaf form cuff bracelet  a leaf form hair clasp (hair held with a twig) each (of course). They rewarded me with the drawings below; and the cup cakes which they helped their mum to make and ice. How good is that?

©2012 Barry Smith - Daphne's gifts
©2012 Barry Smith - Pearl's gifts
And we keep having a lot of brooding storm clouds that tend to come in the afternoon. I love the streaks of rain falling on the far hills. The naked photos of the storms are beautiful.

©2012 Barry Smith - Brooding storms across the valley
©2012 Barry Smith - Brooding storms across the valley
But I do get tempted to play - so a couple altered photos follow - just to further highlight the dramatic nature of nature. And I love how the iPhone's telephoto lens results in an almost pixel painting.

©2012 Barry Smith - Brooding storms across the valley - accentuated
©2012 Barry Smith - Brooding storms across the valley - accentuated
So you can see why the title of the post had to be called - of clouds, artists and storms ( and maybe a little iPhoneography on Wednesday).

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful work from the emerging artists! And, of course, clouds and rains streaks are endlessly inspiring to me... I wonder if you've ever visited my art web site? There are two pieces there that attempt to capture those rain streaks from far off. "Island Storm" and "Rain"... www.valerieclaff.com I continue to be inspired to try to capture these weather phenomena, and sometimes my explorations look a bit like your altered photos, I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring Barry... if only you painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love the view from your place and that panorama view. Luthien cards and Jewels are always wonderful. Someday I hope to have a view like that to look into while I'm welding.... now that would be inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VA, AA, JM & SZQ - thanks for checking these images out. VA - amazing just how your storm water colours seem to to be to the iPhone photos especially the altered ones - brilliant delicate brush work. AA - thanks - something different. JM - painting was a thing I did many moons ago but I lost the mojo for it. SZQ - the invite to come and weld with our valley as inspiration is always there. All - go well and enjoy. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely view you have ... that mountain peeking out of the clouds, so surreal ... like some place on middle earth.

    ahhh... the cards :) hahaha ... glad you think that they're so me ... love how you describe them/me - stories, darkness, mystery :)

    awww... the cupcakes are just wonderful and the scribbly writing ... made my heart melt. Life is indeed wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really magical Luthien's postcards, I love those pictures of the sky in full swing, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so blogger seems to be eating my comments - not very nice...
    i thought i had definitely left one here - luthien as a beautiful way of working - in all its different parts... i love her postcards... what you did with the girls is really wonderful - and their gift of thanks is really precious... i am sure they enjoyed working with you so very much...
    and as always, love the shots of the valley -

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.