Sunday, June 3, 2018

Metal messages

©2018 Barry Smith - Silver-plated offcuts fragments
Not a lot of time over the weekend to enjoy myself in the garage-studio. I did make a good start on making 50 silver-plated leaves with inspirational words stamped on them. Thirty five will become sets of words for Daily Leaf Words; and the rest will become inspirational leaves for giving away.

I'm quite methodical when I'm making batches of the inspirational word leaves. The photo below shows the 35 pieces of metal (about 8-9cm long and 2cm wide) marked ready for stamping.

©2018 Barry Smith - Metal cut from the edges of silver-plated trays
My copper hammer gets a bit of a worker when doing batches of words.

©2018 Barry Smith - Soft copper hammer
©2018 Barry Smith - A set of words destined to become leaf words
The stamped pieces are then folded for marking up as leaf forms.

©2018 Barry Smith - Fold stamped words
And the folded and cut forms are now ready for hammering, opening and grinding and polishing.

©2018 Barry Smith - Folded and cut leaf forms - ready for hammering
Another photo of the bits left over after all the cutting and trimming. These pieces go into a container until I do another smelting day.

©2018 Barry Smith - Silver-plated metal chips for the metal smelter

3 comments:

  1. There is much wisdom in your method (much better than method in one's madness, which is my usual MO)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love seeing all the variations in process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where have I been? LA and MC - I find it hard to believe that I have neglected golf so badly. Thanks for your forbearances and supportive comments. LA - I think we all have our own slightly mad approaches - and as long as we are happy and they work who cares. MC - thanks - I think it is good to share our processes - a way of connecting. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.