Sunday, April 4, 2021

An installation inspired by a Scottish fishing disaster

 


In my reading about the Scottish Highland clearances I was saddened by many things, but one that hit me more was that many farmers were forced to become fisherfolk and often had to go out to sea in small open boats that were easily swamped.

In 1848 there was a huge storm in Moray Firth in Scotland. During that August storm 124 small herring boats were lost; 100 fisherman were drowned; and this resulted in 47 women becoming widows and 161 children lost their father.

In time I want to make 124 small copper boats to represent the magnitude of the disaster. I have a vision of the mass of boat forms being the centre piece of an exhibition installation. I have made a start on 10 such 'boats'. 

I have experimented with the form and have developed the prototype seen in this post. First some process photos - unfolding the fold formed hulls; carved groove in timber to set the hull form in; brass tube mast through the hull and into timber; sail formed and attached to the sail cross supports with wire.





Then some photos of the prototype with the sail attached to mast and hull with wire..





I think I might use linen thread for attaching the sail to the sail cross support pieces and the mast. That will be prototype number 2. I'm not sure at this stage what the boats would be mounted on. I think I would like them on lengths of driftwood - part of prototype 2?

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea and those boats will be very special. I like the idea of driftwood and linen, or perhaps flax or hemp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a sad story ... and such a seemingly simple depiction, but so much detail to see ...

    the full sail leads me to wonder how the massed boats will appear ... will they all be before the wind? ... will some be wave-tossed? ... I can't wait ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them Barry. They look like the wind will blow them along....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Barry, and they will be stunning in multiples. Looking forward to seeing this develop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi P, LA, T, V & MC - all thanks for your interest and feedback regarding this project - it is going to take some doing but as some say it is an art way of honouring the fisherfolk; and drawing attention to the hardships put upon the. P - I think I will need to put the call out for drift wood and the linen will be more manageable for me I think. LA - I think they will be before the wind - most boats were lost as they tried to make the run to shore and harbour. T - though each will be stiff metal I do want them to have a sense of movement. V - thanks - multiples can often tell a bigger story I think. MC - - I'm sure the sadness will come through. All go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very sad story. The boat is beautiful. It definitely looks as though the wind is in it's sails, and a flotilla will be very effective.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.