Sunday, April 25, 2021

Reflecting on a challenging week

 


The past week has made me somewhat angry given the tragic and preventable deaths of a woman and then a young baby - both victims of male violence against women. The image below might be a bit challenging for some - rubine red ink on the glass plate. I chose red for the word avenges because it references the murder of women.

The events lead me to investigate the links between the patriarchal system and violence against women. The European Institute for Gender Equality says,"patriarchal violence is any kind of violence that creates or maintains men's power and dominance, or avenges the loss of their power." I thought that the last part of the statements what lies behind the murder of women and children by men in domestic violence situations - an ultimate act of control and power.

The poster I have printed is a refection of this horrendous and extreme expression of patriarchy. This is my seventh poster in this patriarchy series.



Patriarchy poster on the drying table with some of Fiona's posters


Over printing on A4 paper to take the ink off the type - I might find a role for them down the track




3 comments:

  1. I'm always glad when you show the overprintings ... and your use of the the word avenge sent me to the dictionary ... which referenced vengeance, defined in part as going "to an extreme or excessive degree" ... how that one word holds so much meaning

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Barry))) thank you for speaking out with the power of ink pressed into a page

    ReplyDelete
  3. LA and MC - thanks for responding to this challenging post. LA - I too went to the dictionary after I read the worded quoted by the European Institute - but it is so true. MC - thank you encouraging me to continue on with these messages. Peace. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.