Friday, February 18, 2011

Finding balance in our daily lives

Like most artists I tend to create series of works - well if you think you are onto a good thing why not stick to it for a while at least. I have decided to do a series called Finding Balance. Basically it is about pausing each day and reflecting on a word that might help to give a focus to the day.

Barry Smith © Finding Balance 1
The pieces are cubes of timber that are balanced on a trimmed point. I have created a triangular pocket in the front face by cutting a vee into the balanced cube and covering it with metal.  The piece above is a 200mm cube of Rose Gum.

Barry Smith © Daily reflection words
Barry Smith © Daily reflection words
Words that have been stamped into recycled fingers of metal are placed into the pocket - 7 in all - one for each day of the week.

Barry Smith © Finding balance 2-4
Barry Smith © Finding balance 2-2
The pieces above are 90mm cubes of Blackbutt and 110mm cubes of River Oak. Copper nails and tacks courtesy of Hiro, Tatebayashi, Japan.

In an ideal situation I would envisage that the owner of one of these pieces would put it in a place that is calming and inspirational. In the morning before things get too busy they would visit the quiet place draw out a word for the day and reflect on it for a moment before going about the daily chores and business. Hopefully the word and its influence could stay with the person for the day.

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea. I wonder if I could be disciplined enough to do this. Your cubes are very tempting. Maybe next time I'm up your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. O...M...STARS!!! you just blew my mind with this series Barry! these are truly truly out of the world GORGEOUS! from the cube to the metal workings on the cubes to the metal strips and their AMAZING patinas, even to the stamped words on them ... every bit of this series is stunning! i'm going to dream about these tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~barry...i don't know why i don't just prepare myself prior to coming over knowing quite well that it will be nothing but ethereal beauty you are going to be sharing...your mind and what you are creating...is inspiring...it makes me pause...quite my mind each time...you are full of beautiful ideas and creations...simply love...well done my friend...much love light and blessings upon you and yours~

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wooden pocket of calming thoughts .... You have some lovely ideas Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a wonderful piece! I envision it being used just as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barry,

    I see your work and feel a real affinity and connection. I am always captivated by symmetry and order, yet I see the flux in it.

    I hope you are doing well, and I wish you all the best for the weekend!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful, creative ideas you have. Daily abundance abounds in those beautiful boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful idea-- we can all use some balance, serenity and calm before we start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All _ thanks you heaps for your comments. I reality it is such a simple piece and concept.But it can provide a daily focus and look appealing as well. Today I set a two week mini exhibition at our local library and when I spread the words of inspiration out they just looked gorgeous - simplicity reigns? Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.