Friday, February 11, 2011

New work in progress

As with all our Fridays today has been hectic but had had a great balance: work-work, painting the shed, coffee, community, and art.

I am making one other larger piece for the Studio 4 Gallery exhibition. This piece is about choosing a path (thru life?).
Barry Smith © Choosing a path
As you can see from the photo above the piece will be another combination of Huon Pine and rusted iron.
Barry Smith © Detail Choosing a path
Again I want to keep it simple and have sharp lines. After cutting the 160mm square timber to 900mm length, I have ripped a 50mm channel the full length of the piece - the rusted iron fits well. Over the next couple of days I will do more sanding and polishing and generally finesse the piece. I will have to put the rusted iron back out in the elements to re-cured the edges that are shiny from cutting and grinding. I'm not sure about the length of the iron sticking out of the post - will look at it again tomorrow. Off now to have dinner with friends and drink Friday bubbles.

5 comments:

  1. You certainly do pack a lot into your Fridays! Another great piece I see. Interesting to see the progress. It's so hot here at the moment that I can't even contemplate working outside but the ideas are brewing and my sketch book is filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity - yet grandeur - of this piece! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminds me of the style of Mies van der Rohe.. love the modern edge and rust..

    you certainly know how to end the week right!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a path or journey - through life- and how we make choices.. and you make wonderful choices on how to spend your Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. R, TT, L and D - tomorrow is Friday. This piece is edging closer to completion but probably won't be fully assembled until Sunday. L - I checked out the reference - you are correct with this and the razor's edge piece I have tried to say more with less. Tall slim pieces are a bit difficult to photograph - the alternating iron tabs look better in real life. Thanks for your encouraging comments. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.