Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Wood and Water" returns home

About a year ago I created an outdoor font called Wood and Water. It was named this because basically it is just a very heavy piece of salvaged rose gum that I had milled and a cone shaped 'bowl' turned into to collect water as it sat in the landscape. I created this piece because I liked the idea of having it on our block - gently collecting water. When creating it I was influenced by poles and fonts in Japanese temple gardens.

The local timber art gallery wanted some of my pieces to sell so Wood and Water has been in that gallery for about a year. Whilst I sold other pieces through the gallery no one fell in love with this piece.
Barry Smith © Wood and Water
Barry Smith © Wood and Water
So Fiona and I have bought it home; and it now resides on the deck off our dining room - it is now home and will remain part of the art on our block.

Barry Smith © Detail Wood and Water font
The turned 'bowl' is already catching rain from a couple of light showers today.

Barry Smith © Detail Wood and Water font
Fiona loves the patinated copper on the piece. The copper was cut from an old copper laundry boiler.  The copper 'tacks' are courtesy of Hiro from Tatebayashi, Japan. Wood and Water is about 800mm high, 200mm square and weighs about 30kgs - very dense heavy timber.

3 comments:

  1. i do like this one, too. i love the font, outdoor basin whatever it's to be called idea-wood and metal. just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there it sits, gentley catching rain. I like the patina of the copper too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. V- thought of you when I took the photo of gently caught rain.

    H-we are glad it now is part of our life.

    Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.