Sunday, June 12, 2011

Metal letters

The garage sale went well yesterday - though people started turning up in the dark - 45 minutes before the advertised start time. But the good news is that we worked at selling for 6 hours and managed to move almost everything - so we now have a clear shed and in the next couple of weeks it will be turned into a print studio and teaching venue.

So today we rewarded ourselves with time in the studio. I used it to finish my ALAW 2011 black and white letters; and also turned the letters into a 3d presentation. I will post on the work on the ALAW 2011 blog but thought I'd share a few of the images here as well given the letters have been created from rusted metal straps; recycled tin (painted white); recycled bits from anodised canisters; recycled wire coat-hangers; and pop-rivets - a bit 'Rustnsfuffish' really.

Barry Smith © ALAW - Q 
Barry Smith © ALAW - black and white with a touch of colour
Barry Smith © ALAW - detail - B&W alphabet
Working out how to get the sequence right on the coat-hanger wire rods was a bit of a challenge. Fiona and I talked through and drew five options before settling on the one I used - always good to have another supporting artist on hand.



Barry Smith © ALAW - 3D B&W alphabet

The piece still needs a bit of finessing.

3 comments:

  1. this looks like way too much fun to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Collaboration is always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks really interesting B! but i kinda shivered a little cos i imagined me doing it and i probably would have cut my fingers 100 times before i finish it!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.