Friday, June 14, 2013

A little art on Friday

Today has been a very busy community work day -  so I didn't get into the garage-studio until mid afternoon. Yesterday afternoon I had started another personal shrine for the Peace and Stillness exhibition; and I got to finish it today as the light of day faded.



As you can see from the photo above this shrine has a bit of a Christian focus. The cross came from an old iron cross that was given to me with a couple of candlesticks - someone possibly had used it as part of a spiritual shrine in their home in the past.

©2013 Barry Smith - Personal Shrine with Cross 
©2013 Barry Smith - Detail of the decorative rose on the border.
I think the ornate silver-plated EPNS border (that was cut from an old serving tray) gives the shrine iconic feel. No matter what our spirituality might be we can pause at different times of the day and seek peace and stillness. The timber is Camphor Laurel. The shrine is about 250mm high and 200mm wide. It can be hung on the wall or can sit on a bench, a niche or a ledge in the house.

©2013 Barry Smith - Peace and Stillness - overlay
©2013 Barry Smith - Peace and Stillness - overlay
The recycled metal for shelf part of the shrine had a inscription to a recipient some 26 years ago. I have ground the inscription back somewhat and 'repurposed' the metal by over stamping it with the words Peace and Stillness.  

And just in case you missed the information - as part of the relaunch of my online shop and some ongoing glitches I'm offering 15% off all items and a flat $10 pack and post to anywhere in the world until 30 June. You will find some funky found earrings in the shop and some gorgeous raised bowls as well as reflective light catchers.

Time for a wine I hear you say - and I couldn't agree more.

7 comments:


  1. Hello, Barry.

      It is my joy to share your wonderful work.
      And sweet message charms my heart.

      I pray for your happiness and world peace.

    Have a good weekend. From Japan, ruma ❃

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed studying the photos to see how you've cut and joined the pieces to create the frame for this beautiful shrine. I like the iconic look very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pop on over to your shop. And yes, I am having a sip of wine as we speak!
    I admire your shrine Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruma, SZQ, R & LAM - thanks for checking out this latest shrine offering and for you comments. R - love the idea that my work sends a message to your heart - peace to you. SZQ - this shrine reminds me a little of your crosses. R - I enjoy looking at the process of others work so I tend to share a bit - and iconic is good. LAM - thanks for checking out the shop and shrine - don't you like the idea that shrine and wine go together. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOO!!!! beautiful and shiny B! you know what attracted me the most? the words you stamped over the previously stamped words. that's intriguing. it further cements that fact that not all things need to be new to have its worth. The new stamping on the old, tells a story so much deeper than mere 'face value'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. L - I totally agree about the over-stamping of words - it picks up the energy of the old and adds a new layer in a powerful way. Go well - peace. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.