Friday, June 21, 2013

Sun, Moon & Stars - a personal shrine

There is no doubt that some folk like things that are round - so it goes without saying that at least one of the personal shrines for our peace and stillness exhibition had to be round.

And as generosity would have it Fiona's mum and dad gifted a round silver-plated brass drink serving tray they bought from an op-shop. As you can see from the photo below I have teamed that tray up with: a small silver-plated EPNS round tray with a fancy edge; the centre of a brass mini gong I made for a COMA exhibition; a slice of anther rectangular silver-plated EPNS serving tray; some clock cogs; copper rivets and brass nails from the hardware store in Tatebayashi (Japan); and some scrap 12mm multiply.

©2013 Barry Smith - Recycled objects and metal for a personal shrine
And from this the shrine I have called Sun, Moon and Stars has been created. The photos were a bit rushed - I will take better ones when all is complete. The main circular piece of silver-plate is about 280-300mm in diameter.

©2013 Barry Smith - Sun, Moon and Stars - a personal shrine
©2013 Barry Smith - Detail of Sun, Moon and Stars
©2013 Barry Smith - Detail of Sun, Moon and Stars
There is still a bit more tidying up to be done; and I need to find the right hanging point/s given that the weight is on the lefthand side because I have offset the small silver-plated tray and the brass centre of the gong. The offset tray etc cover the inscription on the centre of the larger tray. I am pleased how this has worked out.

8 comments:

  1. oh my B! this is simply superb! think it just became one of my favourite piece of yours. I'm into round nowadays ... and this one looks just perfect in my eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no end to your ingenuity, Barry. The shrine is going to look amazing on someone's wall.... and I should think it will be quite a talking point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celestial magic Barry! Another brilliant work of art...love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is quite wonderful
    and beautiful to see ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's got to be one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LT, R. L. TL and JM - I think we are all in agreement - this piece worked and will most likely go to a new home during the exhibition. LT - superb indeed - I have noted circular forms appearing in your earrings of late. R - I do hope it graces someones wall and brings peace and joy to their house. L - celestial magic - what a beautiful compliment sent with love attached. TL - I'm glad it is pleasing to your eye - I guess we will all be checking out the full moon on the 24th. JM - one of the best - thank you. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this sooo much Barry! Really sings to me. And we didn't see the moon down here, torrential rain got in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi C - I think this is one of my best - captures the essence of what I was trying to achieve. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.