Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Something a little different

Metal is having a bit of a new meaning in my art at the moment. Instead of cutting and hammering - I'm etching and rolling.

Fiona and I have signed up for the upcoming Maleny Printmakers exhibition. Thirteen of us have committed to producing 10 new prints (maybe in editions of 10) for an exhibition in early November  - not too far away. All prints need to fit quality paper  - size 11.5X13.5cm in portrait format.

On Tuesday Fiona and Susan B had organised a non-toxic aluminium etching (copper sulphate and salt) day in Fiona's print studio. Steph and I joined in.

I managed to do 7 small plates using a two different techniques (dry point and etching); and different resists (bitumen and shellac).

We did artists' proofs on Tuesday; today I spent some time finishing plates; and printed one edition of a small (5X5cm) mountain scene.

©2013 Barry Smith - Plates ready for the copper sulphate-salt bath
©2013 Barry Smith - A small mountain and moon etching
©2013 Barry Smith - A small mountain and moon etching
I felt pretty good about it.  It has been a good process for relearning the printing process.  And below are a couple of photos of a lino cut I printed an edition of.

©2013 Barry Smith - Boat on Mull
©2013 Barry Smith - Boat on Mull
Now only 8 more to go.




3 comments:

  1. Is there no end to your talents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JM - there sure is - but I am enjoying getting back to some printing - having to do 10 editions gives one the chance to practice. Go well. B

      Delete
  2. No, I agree with Jo, you seem to excel at everything you attempt. So lucky we get to share all this with you. Lovely prints, B!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.