Friday, October 2, 2015

A little light - Steampunk that is

©2015 Barry Smith - Beautiful discovery under the rust and paint.
On October 10 & 11 of October (a week away - yikes!!!) I will have a stand at the Sunshine Coast Jewellery and Art Expo. I found out that I need to add my own light to my stand so decided to add a little interest by using a few Steampunk Lamps.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been roughly testing combinations of bits on my 'sorting-design table'.

©2015 Barry Smith - The 'Sorting-design table' - covered in bits.
Today I got into taking objects apart, cutting, drilling, creating threads for light fittings etc etc. Then the three disassemble lamps were taken to the polishing area for cleaning and polishing.

©2015 Barry Smith - Looking pretty ratty before the grind and polish
©20125 Barry Smith - An after shot - looking much more attractive.
At the end of the day I was able to do a rough test assemble to see that the bits were all going to fit together. A few rushed photos below.

©2015 Barry Smith - Loving how these pieces have come together - very Victorian?
©2015 Barry Smith - A simple lamp made from a solid fuel camping stove
©2015 Barry Smith - A blowtorch lamp in progress
Over the weekend I hope to complete the three lamps by giving them a final assemble, fitting cords and bulbs and giving them a final polish. The lamps will be used at the expo; and then most likely head down to Jo St Baker's Gallery-Studio in Redcliffe.

Time now to get a pumpkin and blue cheese risotto on (one of our favourite risottos) - probably accompanied by a chilled sav-blanc.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pieces.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are going to be wonderful, B! I bought some welding pieces last week with a lamp in mind - now I have to get my head into gear and make a start, inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.