Sunday, March 26, 2017

A whole lot of hammering

©2017 Barry Smith - Close up of hammer marks on small bowls - two different directions of hammering
Today I got to finish a couple of rings I have been working on - a commission - I will share this somewhere down the track.

And then I changed over to perfecting the prototype of the bowls for the coffee measuring spoons so I could go into production.

I found that 'sinking' the bowls in a metal form was leaving marks on the metal; and hammering them in one direction did not integrate the marks into the bowl. So I hammered in the direction of the marks and was able to incorporate them into the final product.

©2017 Barry Smith - Cl;one inspection shows forming marks on two of the bowls but none on the third
I marked up all the rough formed bowls (and the couple of prototype); and got into hammering. I calculated that in hammering the 14 small bowls (about 45mm across) I did about 5,000 to 6,000 hammer strokes. The bowls are now ready for grinding and polishing.

©2017 Barry Smith -Rough formed  (sunk) bowls marked up ready for hammering
©2017 Barry Smith - Hammering (raising) completed - amazing tool steel in the hammer - still unmarked after a few years of use.
I also played with streamlining the forming of the handles including length of brass rod. I that worked out now.

©2017 Barry Smith - Twisted brass rod handles - production method worked out
I think I will feel the result of all that hammering in my hands and forearms tomorrow - still a good achievement.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, Barry, that is a LOT of hammering! Beautiful results, though, love the intentionality of the texture/marks. I suppose if I counted how many lines I draw when painting tree branches, I might be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi VA - as a fellow artist you totally get the idea of the number of strokes that can be involved. Hammer marks made according to a pattern of hammering can produce a great bit of texture. Thanks. Go well, B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.